Fine Art Crater:
Full-Time – Portland
As a Fine Art Crater, you will be responsible for applying your knowledge of the industry practices of crate fabrication. Experience in fine art crating is preferred, but training is available for candidates with advanced woodworking/carpentry/construction skills. You will build a variety of crates – from travel frames to museum crates. The ideal candidate understands that the safety and security of artworks and of fellow team members is critical to both individual and company success. You will report to the Director of Storage and Facilities, but you will largely work without direct supervision. Fine Art Craters will be required to follow company standards in crate fabrication and may have deadlines for fabrication. A positive attitude, strong work ethic and professional demeanor are necessary, as our Craters are often required to meet with clients and/or pack items on site.
- Safely operate power tools and shop equipment
- Fabricate custom designed wood crates for the packing, storage and shipping of fine art, antiques and artifacts
- Ability to read and process crate designs to given specifications
- Prepare crate interiors to the desired specifications, including but not limited to insulation, cushioning, support, strapping
- Prepare instructions for complex crates, so that they can be reused at destination
- Complete tool maintenance as necessary and maintain a clean shop
- Participate in training in the areas of shop safety and production
- Prepare purchase sheets for supplies on a regular basis
- Load, unload and pack crates and supplies at facility
- Travel to clients’ homes and businesses to assist road team on as-needed basis. Clean driving record required
- Support warehouse staff with receiving and placing objects in storage
- Other tasks as assigned
- Experience in fine art crating is preferred, but training is available for candidates with advanced woodworking/carpentry/construction skills.
- Precision and care are required on every fabrication
- Take pride in your work and the quality of crates that travel around the world
- Must be coachable. We have a diverse set of skills and value the perspectives of each member of the team. Be prepared to receive instruction and work collaboratively to identify ideal methods for custom crates.
- Candidate must be able to take appropriate care in shop and warehouse
- Forklift skills a plus, but not required
- Must be able to lift 50lb minimum and safely carry large, heavy sheet materials
- Art handling experience plus but not required
- Forklift certification
- Rigging experience
- Awareness and understanding of mounts, supports and structures. Mount-making or framing experience a plus.
Art Work Fine Art Services offers a competitive benefits package that includes Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, AD&D, Company-paid and Voluntary Life Insurance, Vacation Time Off, 401(k) Plan and College Tuition Plan.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Your gender, your sex, your faith, your age and your skin color don’t matter here. Art Work Fine Art Services seeks diverse backgrounds and perspectives and strives to offer equal opportunity to all smart, hard-working, dedicated people. Come as you are.
How to Apply:
Email [email protected]